The new 3SC website has been designed to work well across all devices including desktop computers, laptops, tablets and mobile phones. This means that when you are viewing the site on a phone, you will no longer have to zoom in to read the text.
Changing the size of the text on this website
Select Text Size from the View menu (in some browsers Text Size may be called Text Zoom or Zoom) and choose the size that you want from the Text Size menu.
Help with PDF documents – assistive technology
PDF documents are usually marked with this icon:
You can download Portable Document Format (PDF) documents using Adobe Reader – available free of charge.
Adobe Reader allows you to extract the text of an Adobe PDF document and save it as a text file. This feature is particularly useful when you want to read the document on a note-taker or emboss the file with a Braille printer.
- Information for users with disabilities on the Adobe website (See ‘Accessing PDF documents with assistive technology’ document).
Most images on this website have alternative text that describes their contents or function. Images used in purely decorative graphics or for layout do not include alternative text.
Accessibility advice for Mac users
The Mac operating system includes many accessibility options, including resizing text, text-to-speech and keyboard alternatives to mouse functions.
Visit the Apple website’s accessibility section.
For more help about changing your browser, operating system, or computer settings to view websites in a more accessible way, go to the BBC’s My Web My Way.
For further help here is a list of links to sites providing accessibility software:
- JAWS, a screen reader for Windows. A time-limited, downloadable demo is available
- Lynx, a free text-only web browser for blind users with refreshable Braille displays.
- Links, a free text-only web browser for visual users with low bandwidth.
- Opera, a visual browser with many accessibility-related features, including text zooming, user stylesheets, image toggle. A free downloadable version is available. Compatible with Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and several other operating systems.
- BrowseAloud, free text to speech software – this is also on all Library pcs
- TextHelp Read & Write (Gold) – this is also on all Library pcs